Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Bengals/Texans Game Thread

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:31 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:20 pm
Bengals win! Bengals win! Bengals.....win? :shock:
:shock:
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Blake Jewell (@BlakeJewellNFL)
With how the Bengals have been playing recently, don’t forget they get these guys, who haven’t been playing, back next season.

Joe Burrow
Joe Mixon
DJ Reader
Trae Waynes
Jonah Williams
CJ Uzomah
Logan Wilson

Also:
Early draft picks
Free agents

Could get interesting.

CincyBobcat

Post by CincyBobcat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:30 pm

Now we root for the 4 win teams to win. Go Panthers & Eagles!

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:37 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:12 pm
Blake Jewell (@BlakeJewellNFL)
With how the Bengals have been playing recently, don’t forget they get these guys, who haven’t been playing, back next season.

Joe Burrow
Joe Mixon
DJ Reader
Trae Waynes
Jonah Williams
CJ Uzomah
Logan Wilson

Also:
Early draft picks
Free agents

Could get interesting.
I have also been somewhat impressed with the coaching. I don't see as many heads rolling after the season.

I've also seen rumors on Twitter (take them with a tiny grain of salt) that Joe Thuney, pro bowl guard from NE. Really wants to come to Cincy. Land him, re-sign Spain (he's not great, but seems to be getting better each week.), and draft a OT somewhere and we might have a good OL. I'd start Thuney at LG and let Spain and SuaFilo battle at RT. Keep the loser as depth.

I've been impressed with Allen at QB. Seems more than capable. Will come cheap. Will need to draft a guy to battle with Finley.

I don't hate this team going into next year. While I'm cautious due to fools gold of late season success under previous coaches, there are some interesting talent coming back. Most importantly, we should have our QB of the future when Burrow comes back.

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:40 pm

What sucks, is we wasted a lot of money on Mixon. I really like the combo of Perine and Gio.

HogsFan

Post by HogsFan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:59 pm

Living in Northwest Arkansas for the last 12 years, it is refreshing to see Brandon Allen have success. He led his high school teams to success, led the Hogs during a tough time, and now has lead my Bengals in a time of need.

He is a solid citizen and a class act. He is not a dramatic talent, but he is a hardworking and smart player who understands his own limitations and does what it takes to help the team.

I hope we sign him to backup Joe next year. Allen has shown that he can win, and that he will be a great teammate if he doesn't get much playing time.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Agreed Hog. Good to see you post.

Exile

Post by Exile » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Kind of a side note to all this--I saw an article on The Athletic right after our win (can't find it now), and the focus of it was J.J. Watt just blasting his team, or at least portions of it, for not trying hard enough, not caring enough, not still fighting to win even as their season--like ours--has basically been over for a while now.

On the one hand, it's a reminder of how real football players think. They aren't out there to just cash their check and move on, they want to win, they want to fight hard. And I think we've seen that from a core of our guys here late in the season, that they're not just throwing in the towel on the season and trying to tank for a better draft pick. And there's something to be said for that. There's a saying that character is what you do when no one's looking, and I think among football players it's not that different--character isn't just what you do when no one's looking--the film study, the extra reps, the time in the gym--it's also how you play when there's nothing to play for except pride. At the end of the day, as much as we fans would all like to see next year's team get better because of guys we might draft in April, our team also gets better when we have guys who are buying in, guys who are going to work every day trying to get better and trying to help the team.

That's not the ONLY thing we need, but it's better to have guys who are going to fight hard every game than guys who are just going to go through the motions. Hopefully that will pay off next year with a more competitive team once we have more talent as well from guys returning from injury, free agents signing, and draft picks.

Joe Thuney would be a good pick up, for sure. I'm not sure why he'd want to come play for us, but I'd sure take him. Him and a decent RT would go a long way.

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:56 pm

Exile wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:12 pm
Kind of a side note to all this--I saw an article on The Athletic right after our win (can't find it now), and the focus of it was J.J. Watt just blasting his team, or at least portions of it, for not trying hard enough, not caring enough, not still fighting to win even as their season--like ours--has basically been over for a while now.

On the one hand, it's a reminder of how real football players think. They aren't out there to just cash their check and move on, they want to win, they want to fight hard. And I think we've seen that from a core of our guys here late in the season, that they're not just throwing in the towel on the season and trying to tank for a better draft pick. And there's something to be said for that. There's a saying that character is what you do when no one's looking, and I think among football players it's not that different--character isn't just what you do when no one's looking--the film study, the extra reps, the time in the gym--it's also how you play when there's nothing to play for except pride. At the end of the day, as much as we fans would all like to see next year's team get better because of guys we might draft in April, our team also gets better when we have guys who are buying in, guys who are going to work every day trying to get better and trying to help the team.

That's not the ONLY thing we need, but it's better to have guys who are going to fight hard every game than guys who are just going to go through the motions. Hopefully that will pay off next year with a more competitive team once we have more talent as well from guys returning from injury, free agents signing, and draft picks.

Joe Thuney would be a good pick up, for sure. I'm not sure why he'd want to come play for us, but I'd sure take him. Him and a decent RT would go a long way.
He's from Dayton and most of his family live in southern Ohio.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:38 pm

Listened to the game while taking down all the Christmas decorations. Think this team has quit on Zach? Gotta give him credit...3 wins with 3 different QBs. Not an easy task

From lance
Bengals won a road game without
Joe Burrow, Joe Mixon, Tyler Boyd, Jonah Williams, Auden Tate, Geno Atkins, CJ Uzomah, DJ Reader, Trae Waynes.....etc.