Devonta Smith Heisman Winner

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Devonta Smith Heisman Winner

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:15 pm

So, he's the real deal. Here's a question. Something to think about.

Do the Dolphins take him and pair him up with his former Qb in Tua? If so I think that Sewell falls to us at 5. If they take Sewell at 3, do we take the Heisman winner and team him up with Boyd and Higgins?

For me, it's a win-win with either one.

BTW, don't give me that we can team him up with Aj Green crap! Green, to me didn't give this team 100% all year long and looked lazy and outta wack on just about every game. I'm ready to let the Aj Green era be gone! Yes, I loved him as a player, he gave us some great, outstanding years but his time is finished-sorry.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

skycruiser

Re: Devonta Smith Heisman Winner

Post by skycruiser » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:27 am

He has been on a completely different level and would love to ruin his career by drafting him. Easy to forget Jalen Waddle was even better before he broke his ankle

Exile

Post by Exile » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:12 am

Let's see how he does against the Buckeyes before we anoint him... so far he's only played against crappy SEC defenses and ND.

Kidding, but also maybe a little not. He's good, I wouldn't hate it if we stacked our receiver room with young talent.

I hope that we're aggressive in the offseason fixing our O-line. I'd hate for them to play "wait and see if we get Sewell" and then plug in marginal free agents when he's gone and we take Smith. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel at all bad if we bring in great FAs and also draft Sewell: "having too many good linemen" has not been a problem we've had to deal with in a long time, and even if we draft Sewell, you'd have questions about whether he'd be ready on day 1, as well as questions about how well Jonah Williams would make the move to RT (assuming that's what drafting Sewell would mean).

Anyway, not trying to hijack a Devonta Smith thread with talk of linemen, but I agree that he should be a high draft pick, which can only help us as we take him or someone else falls to us. I like the way you're thinking, Joe.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 am

Knowing the curse this franchise has on 1st round picks, it would be smart to go after O-linemen heavy in FA so if we draft Sewell or Smith either way we'd have some depth at each position. This way, once our curse hits us and that 1st rounder goes down we've got a backup plan.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 am

I've said it in other threads, unless the Dolphins trade to a QB needy team, I see no scenario where they pass on Sewell.

This is a team that would get an upgrade at Tackle by bringing in Bobby Hart for God's sake.

Unless the Dolphins spend a bunch of money on OL in free agency, I just can't see them passing on what, barring injury, is in all probability a sure thing for blocking for Tua for the next ten to twenty years.

If I'm the Bengals I don't take a WR at 5 ahead of Sewell, Parsons, Farley, Surtain, or God help me even Pitts It's not that he's not worth it as a player, it's that this team has so many needs right now and giving Boyd and Higgins another running mate isn't even close to the top of that list. He's a luxury that this team doesn't have the room to take on right now. If Boyd and Higgins didn't both look like they had the potential to be a number one receiver playing with Burrow this year, I might have a different opinion on the matter.

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:41 am

The difference, imo, between Smith and Waddle is style. Smith has great hands and a huge catch radius. He makes those highlight real one handed grabs at the highest point. He's like OBJ in his prime. Waddle is more of a burner and shifty runner. He's great as a returner and will will beat most coverages. He's a lot like Tyreek Hill.

So you take either OBJ in his prime or Hill.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:33 am

Mag wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:41 am
The difference, imo, between Smith and Waddle is style. Smith has great hands and a huge catch radius. He makes those highlight real one handed grabs at the highest point. He's like OBJ in his prime. Waddle is more of a burner and shifty runner. He's great as a returner and will will beat most coverages. He's a lot like Tyreek Hill.

So you take either OBJ in his prime or Hill.
Then its a win-win situation if you're taking either a young hill or obj.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:39 am

Jmble wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 am
I've said it in other threads, unless the Dolphins trade to a QB needy team, I see no scenario where they pass on Sewell.

This is a team that would get an upgrade at Tackle by bringing in Bobby Hart for God's sake.

Unless the Dolphins spend a bunch of money on OL in free agency, I just can't see them passing on what, barring injury, is in all probability a sure thing for blocking for Tua for the next ten to twenty years.

If I'm the Bengals I don't take a WR at 5 ahead of Sewell, Parsons, Farley, Surtain, or God help me even Pitts It's not that he's not worth it as a player, it's that this team has so many needs right now and giving Boyd and Higgins another running mate isn't even close to the top of that list. He's a luxury that this team doesn't have the room to take on right now. If Boyd and Higgins didn't both look like they had the potential to be a number one receiver playing with Burrow this year, I might have a different opinion on the matter.
I agree that if Sewell is available then take him. What I don't see eye to eye on is you pass up Smith (if Sewells not available to pick a OT that is ranked 45th. I don't see it as a luxury whereas I see it as BPA. If a team passes on BPA then they're reaching for what they need, imo. Its worked wonders for Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore for years...BPA that is regardless.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:55 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:39 am
Jmble wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 am

I agree that if Sewell is available then take him. What I don't see eye to eye on is you pass up Smith (if Sewells not available to pick a OT that is ranked 45th. I don't see it as a luxury whereas I see it as BPA. If a team passes on BPA then they're reaching for what they need, imo. Its worked wonders for Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore for years...BPA that is regardless.
I don't think Parsons, Farley, Surtain, or Pitts are reaching.

I definitely don't want to take the 45th ranked player. If Sewell isn't there, I don't take an OL at 5. Hopefully they address the Guard position in free agency.

Parsons at Linebacker and Farley and Surtain at CB are all three top ten draft picks looking at the latest Mock Draft posted by the USA Today this morning. I would argue that both are more a position of need than WR. I admit that I'd rather trade down a little bit to take these players rather than take them at five, but I don't think any of them are reaching.

I might be willing to concede that Smith would be better than taking Pitts, but I also let some of you guys get into my head about how good Pitts can be.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:14 pm

If I have my drothers, and when do I ever? :roll: I'd trade down with someone who covets Smith and take the guy out of Northwestern with our first pick.

We use the additional draft picks from this hypothetical trade on D-linemen and CBs. Maybe even more O-linemen.