Dehner on the Offensive Line

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Dehner on the Offensive Line

Post by Joe Bananas » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am

Jmble wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 am
I'm okay with Slater at 5 if Sewell is gone. My first choice if Sewell and Chase are gone would be to trade back. If you can't trade back I have no problem with grabbing a guy that is at arguably our biggest need. Slater is currently number 12 on PFF's Big Board. He's number 11 on Mel Kiper's Big Board. Four of the guys in front of him are QBs. You'd rather not take the number 12 guy on the board at 5, but when he plays the biggest position of need for the team, it just doesn't feel like that big of a reach.

Having said that, if Sewell and Chase are both gone by number five there are going to be some QBs on the board that might make it a lot easier for us to trade down.

PFF's latest Mock has us trading down with the Panthers to number 8 and taking Slater. This would be an ideal scenario in my opinion, given Chase and Sewell being off the board.
My concern is with his position and size. I think ultimately he'll have to move to guard due to him being undersized. It's not that I dislike the guy, I think he plays hard and work alot of heart. It's just I don't think he'll be a tackle in this league...well not for long anyways. But that's ok. But I don't feel as if we need to waste the number 5 pick on a tackle that in my opinion will fail at that position and then try him at other spots until he gets then right fit all the while we're doing this Chae and Pitts are going to pro bowls. We tried that with a guy in Billy Price, Ugaboogie, the Fisher kid we drafted in second round that one year. Maybe I'll be complete wrong. Hell most the time I am but I feel if Pitts, Chase is there at 5 you take them due to best player available at that time over Slater. Just my 2 cents worth
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm

I don't want Slater at five because it is reaching for a need. My guess is no other team would take him at 5 and the only reason he is being mocked to Bengals at 5 is because of their massive need at OL. Could you think of any team that would trade up to get him at 5?

If can trade back and get another 2nd round or a 1st round pick next year and get him in the early teens that would be great.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm

I agree with Hits. I'm not as down on Slater as some on this board but many draft gurus have him pegged as a Guard at the next level and not a Tackle.

And while we need better Guards I don't think you spend the #5 overall pick on one. Good quality starting caliber Guards can be had in rounds 2-3.

If Penile and/or Chase are gone they need to trade back and pick up some extra picks or if there are no good offers tap Pitts and start looking for O-line help in round two. Preferably someone who can play both Guard and Center.

I'm not as sold on Price at Center as some of you seem to be...

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm
I agree with Hits. I'm not as down on Slater as some on this board but many draft gurus have him pegged as a Guard at the next level and not a Tackle.

And while we need better Guards I don't think you spend the #5 overall pick on one. Good quality starting caliber Guards can be had in rounds 2-3.

If Penile and/or Chase are gone they need to trade back and pick up some extra picks or if there are no good offers tap Pitts and start looking for O-line help in round two. Preferably someone who can play both Guard and Center.

This is why I've been hearing more and more about us trading down instead of reaching if Chase or Swallows isn't there. Which I believe everyone on this board would be 100% agreement with.

Exile

Post by Exile » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:50 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Is anyone here sold on Price at Center? I think there's hope that new/old coaching will help his development and that he can hold down the position if Hopkins isn't back for week 1. I see him as a backup who's young enough to still have some upside. And as an OSU fan, I'd love to see him develop, but not counting on it.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:39 pm

Exile wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:50 am
Is anyone here sold on Price at Center? I think there's hope that new/old coaching will help his development and that he can hold down the position if Hopkins isn't back for week 1. I see him as a backup who's young enough to still have some upside. And as an OSU fan, I'd love to see him develop, but not counting on it.
I think this is why one of our O-line picks needs to be someone who can play both interior positions. If Price continues to suck we'll need a Plan B till Hopkins returns.... :?