Re: 2023 Off-season thread

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:26 pm

Zoo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:46 am
Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:27 am

I wouldn't break the bank for Bates. I think he's decent at best. I think he's had some good games, maybe a good year. I'm not hating the guy, but Bell has outplayed him over the years imo. Bates is ok, but he's not let's break the bank good. But I'm sure another team will over 17M a year. I just don't think the Bengals should or will.
The problem is Hill has looked like shit all season when given his chances... I'm not sure he's the replacement we're hoping for.
I think Dax played well before his Injury. Although he really needs to do better on special teams.
Well I'd argue that he's made too many bone head low football IQ plays this season to be any kind of replacement for the high football IQ Bates.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:48 pm

The story on bates as I heard it is that he definitely wanted a deal done but his agent was being ridiculous. He went into Katie’s office at one point and wanted to take an offer they had given him prior but his contract with his agent wouldn’t allow her to speak to him, and that the agent had to sign off on any deal. Lots of hurt feelings along the way to the point where it’s not mendable once they put the tag on him. But at the end of the day came down to his agent being a total douche

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:56 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:48 pm
The story on bates as I heard it is that he definitely wanted a deal done but his agent was being ridiculous. He went into Katie’s office at one point and wanted to take an offer they had given him prior but his contract with his agent wouldn’t allow her to speak to him, and that the agent had to sign off on any deal. Lots of hurt feelings along the way to the point where it’s not mendable once they put the tag on him. But at the end of the day came down to his agent being a total douche
This is pretty much what I've heard as well. When I bought that art piece of Burrow and Chase the guy actually did one personally for Jesse and has described the exact same thing.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm

NFL has announced the salary cap for each team next season will be $224.8 million per club, according to sources informed of the situation.

It's a $16.6 million leap for each club from the $208.2 million cap in 2022.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:40 am

Boy, you guys moved on quickly. LOL

This morning is the first time I've really even wanted to start thinking about football.

For some reason Twitter is aflutter with people trying to speculate whether the Bengals would listen to trade offers for Tee Higgins this offseason.

I see little to no chance of that happening. Even if you offer the world, this team is a couple of plays away from being in a Super Bowl this year and winning a Super Bowl last year. You don't break that up to start worrying about the future when you've got another shot to win a Super Bowl next year.

Best case scenario this offseason is that Burrow is willing to take a cap friendly deal. He's going to get his money, but how the contract is structured could definitely make a difference on how much money we have to spend elsewhere on the roster.

I think we resign Hurst, Perine, and Allen. They like Brandon Allen, and face it, if Burrow goes down we are pretty screwed regardless of who's back there.

I'd try to keep Vonn Bell, though I think he's going to be looking for his last decent contract and I don't know if he will take what we are willing to pay.

Sportstrac has Eli Apple's market value at 11.6 mil per year. He made 3.7 mil in 2022. I can't begin to justify giving him an 8 million dollar raise, but the team seems to like him for some reason. We'll see.

I'd love to keep Bates at a decent price, but I just think he's gone. Same for Pratt.

Other than that, I see Free Agency just being bit players.

I see us looking at CB, OL, S (Losing Bates and Vonn Bell is getting up there in age), P (Drue Chrisman didn't do much for me), Maybe WR for the future. This could be the last year for both Higgins and Boyd. Maybe TE to go alongside Hurst (if he resigns, definitely need a TE if he doesn't)

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pm

I think the reason seeing Higgins rumors is because no chance they can pay him, Chase and Burrow at same time on their 2nd contract.

If apple gets 11 million good luck to him and I hope it is not by Cincy.

I really do hope they bring back Hurst and Bell.

This a pass first team so many options to fill what is needed at RB.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:45 pm

I feel resigning Pratt should be an extremely high priority. I feel the real leader on this defense is Pratt not Bates.

With that said my idea of a great off-season would be to resign; Pratt, Bell, Hurst, and Perine. I see these guys as must returns and should still very well be in our budget.

I believe we can afford Chase, Burrow and Higgins, and the idea of not being able to do this is silly. I've heard already Mixon has stated he's willing to do everything to stay here, but is he willing to restructure his contract like Zeke is going to do to stay? If not then I feel this will be his last year with this team.

If we do not resign Pratt look for us to look at LB in the draft at least twice in later rounds kind of like we did with Wilson and Geather.

I keep seeing rumors about our OC and DC getting interviews, I see our OC leaving before Lou and personally I think we could do better than Callahan.

Either way we'll have a little higher of a draft pick then 32, and in the end our ultimate goal is to be picking at 32 and until that happens with this QB it's a failure.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:45 pm
I feel resigning Pratt should be an extremely high priority. I feel the real leader on this defense is Pratt not Bates.

I believe we can afford Chase, Burrow and Higgins, and the idea of not being able to do this is silly. I
I agree I should have added Pratt to important to resign.

I just don't think it is wise to have 100M+ cap space tied up in those three players. It will cause holes that can only be filled with later round draft picks on first contract or experience players playing for vet minimum.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:30 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:45 pm

I believe we can afford Chase, Burrow and Higgins, and the idea of not being able to do this is silly. I
I agree I should have added Pratt to important to resign.

I just don't think it is wise to have 100M+ cap space tied up in those three players. It will cause holes that can only be filled with later round draft picks on first contract or experience players playing for vet minimum.
That may be the case but I feel that there's always a way to get it done (Burrow, Chase, Higgins) and still be able to fill the rest of the team. It's all about management and hopefully Kate's better at it then Mike was.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:06 pm

I know we have alot of guys to pay but this isn't how you maintain a super bowl quality team. If Bates, Pratt, Higgins, and others go then it's gonna hurt and hurt bad, don't care what anyone says. I say we deal, cut or whatever on Boyd and try to keep Higgins. You don't let your core players walk. That isn't a recipe for success. Perhaps the reason Chase is so dominant is because of Higgins....lineup Chase with Irwin and Morgan and see how it goes, roll the dice. I say it won't be another top notch season for him or the Bengals.

I under stand you cannot keep everyone, but there has to be something to atleast keep Higgins, Pratt Burrow and Chase. I said the other day to let Bates walk and some team is gonna over pay for him. I don't see why we can't afford Hurst, and Bell. You cannot let Bell and Bates walk along with Apple. I'm sorry but you just can't.

I know some tuff moves are coming, but we need to keep some core players. Do what you can to keep Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Pratt and Bell.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.