Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: 2023 Off-season thread

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:57 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:36 pm
Agent: Charges against Joe Mixon will be dropped on Friday
Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2023, 8:24 PM EST

Agent Peter Schaffer told Tom Pelissero of NFL Network that the charges will be dropped on Friday.

“It was a rush to judgement,” Schaffer told Pelissero. “They’re dropping the charges first thing in the morning. I really feel that police have an obligation before they file charges — because of the damage that can be done to the person’s reputation — to do their work. They should be held to a higher standard. Because I don’t play with people’s lives.”

It’s unclear why the charges are being dropped. Possibly, prosecutors believe they can prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. It’s possible the alleged victim has recanted.

No one has posted any statement from the alleged victim, or the alleged victim’s lawyer (if the alleged victim has one). It’s unclear whether NFL Network sought a statement from the alleged victim, or from the alleged victim’s lawyer, before posting the statement from Mixon’s agent.

If the alleged victim hasn’t rescinded the allegation, other avenues are available, including the civil court system. So even if the criminal case ends tomorrow, that doesn’t mean that the issue will definitely be over.
The court of public opinion has already judged this case and Mixon no matter what he does is guilty, like Hogfan's post. I hate that our society today is this way, I mean who really knows what happened here besides the "so called" victim and Mixon. I'm 100% sure that whoever brought these allegations will not rescind them because they know they'll press it into civil court and win no matter what, and get a nice pay day if it's not settled out of court.

With all that said I like Mixon he's been nothing but a model citizen up to this point and a pretty good Baller for us. However we should probably cut the weight save the 7.whatever million resign Perine draft another running back and move on with our lives. Use that 7 million to sign another guys like Pratt or Bates and keep some of the core of this team together. Just my humble dumbass opinion.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 pm

Perine = RB1. Move on.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 am

Even before this incident I thought Mixon's chances of sticking with the team were 50/50.

I have no real problem with cutting him and drafting another back in this year's draft.

Evan's problem according to Dehner Jr is his lack of blocking skill. Hopefully that can be overcome.

Nice to see you post HogsFan. Don't be a stranger.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:23 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 am
Evan's problem according to Dehner Jr is his lack of blocking skill. Hopefully that can be overcome.
If he hasn't figured it out by now he never will.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 am

This team can still excel without Mixon

Robinson, the RB outta Texas is slated to be picked near the end of the first round. Probably not an option for us, but it is me. I've always said Mixon doesn't fit well with Burrows offense. If we cut or trade him though you really have to look at the draft in replacing him. Who knows charges are dropped but you know Goodell is gonna stick it too him for atleast 4 games lol
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:09 am

Good running backs are a dime a dozen. You see rookie running backs come into the league and excel every year. Resign Perine and bring somebody in through the draft.

With the speculation that he might get cut for salary cap purposes even before this incident, I think this probably tips it more in that direction whether charges are dropped or not.

There are also plenty of mid-range free agents that would pair up well with Perine.

Kenyan Drake, Devin Singletary, David Montgomery, Jeff Wilson Jr, Alexander Mattison, Damien Harris

Tony Pollard would be great, but he's probably going to get too much money.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:52 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 am
Robinson, the RB outta Texas is slated to be picked near the end of the first round. Probably not an option for us, but it is me. I've always said Mixon doesn't fit well with Burrows offense. If we cut or trade him though you really have to look at the draft in replacing him. Who knows charges are dropped but you know Goodell is gonna stick it too him for atleast 4 games lol
They're not going to spend a first or even a second round pick on a RB Joe. They have more important areas to address.

Jmble's correct. Good, solid RBs can be had in the middle rounds or found in the second week of Free Agency.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:59 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:52 am
Joe Bananas wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 am
They're not going to spend a first or even a second round pick on a RB Joe. They have more important areas to address.

Jmble's correct. Good, solid RBs can be had in the middle rounds or found in the second week of Free Agency.
If they did spend a 1st or a 2nd on a RB I'd be F'n pissed...

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:00 am

Another thing to note is that this team does not NEED a dynamic running back. We all know that this team runs through Burrow and so does everybody else in the league.

What this team needs is a running back who can consistently get us 3 to 5 yards when we need it. Perine proved that in the weeks where Mixon was out. If you can get the defense worried enough about the RB consistently pushing the D-Line back for positive yards, that eases the defense up on the receivers a little bit and gives us plenty of options. You can't double team Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Hurst while still trying to make sure the RB isn't moving forward. We don't need the running back that continually tries to juke the defense for that massive gain every time he gets the ball.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:15 am

I really liked how Volson played this season but I wouldn't be against bringing in a high FA or a 2nd or 3rd round guard to compete. I would also be looking at a RT for backup. Adenji isn't going a long term solution back up at any position.