Super Bowl LVI Game Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: Super Bowl LVI Game Thread.

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:59 am

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:47 am
The Bengals have lost Super Bowls by 5 points (1982), 4 points (1989) and now 3 points (2022).

Keep getting closer each time maybe a few more times and will win one.
We'll be back I think in the next 2 to 3 years, and next time I believe we'll be cheering the day after.

Burrow still has some growing to do on the field. Maybe worry less about his suit going to the game and more about the game itself.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:00 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:19 pm
The sad thing is this teams Achilles heal was the O-line all year and going back to last year and several years before.

We knew the O-line was poor....knew it. But we did little to fix it. Signing one tackle and drafting another in the 2nd round was never going to do it.

Didn't sign a Guard, didn't sign a Center. And the Tackle they did draft hardly saw the field and wasn't even used in the biggest game of the year. :roll:

Let's hope they've learned their lesson. Have we turned a corner...? Not till we address our biggest weakness, no.
Just stop with that BS. Did they do everything they needed to do to fix the OL? No. But they did way more than little. First, they shit-canned Turner. Turner is a piece of shit coach and a worse human being. I've heard that from 2 OL experts personally. Those experts also rave about Pollack so that is a huge improvement in coaching. Second, they drafted Carmen to fix RG and signed Reiff to temporarily fix RT. Carmen struggled with an injury all off season and into the season. He should be fine next year. Reiff also got hurt. Adeneji was supposed to compete. He had zero offseason due to injury. Still not fully healthy. He should improve next year. Smith, another rookie OL and Sua Filo also battled injuries.

Could they have drafted Sewell? Sure, still have a hole at RG and no Chase. Without Chase, no Super Bowl. Could they have signed a few FAs? Sure, but they would not have had Hendrickson, Awuzie, Ogunjobi, and Apple. We don't even sniff the SB without those guys. You also have 5 starting positions on the OL and reserves. It is hard to fix all of that in a year without ignoring the rest of the team.

This team has a full compliment of draft picks and 60+mil in cap space. If they neglect OL this year (which I doubt they will) then you can complain. This team missed a great opportunity to win it all, and that sucks. While it is very hard to get to the SB, I like our odds to go back. Burrow is the key. He will be extra motivated. That will motivate everyone else around him. FAs will go out of their way to want to play for him. Fun fact: Joe has never had a full offseason with his WRs. Imagine what they can do with a full offseason together. When they improve the OL, which I believe they will, imagine what they can do giving Joe an extra 1 or 2 seconds to throw.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:20 am

Making the Superbowl and being within yards of winning it isn't turning the corner, especially after the last few years? C'mon. The corner is turned. They just haven't gotten there yet. This roster was so bad two years ago. Too far gone to completely fix immediately. But they are a hell of a lot closer and with a young core that is as talented as any in the league.

And they're a fun, likeable group. I'm more upset for the players and what they missed out on than for us as fans.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:42 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:00 am
Bengals1 wrote:
The sad thing is this teams Achilles heal was the O-line all year and going back to last year and several years before.

We knew the O-line was poor....knew it. But we did little to fix it. Signing one tackle and drafting another in the 2nd round was never going to do it.

Didn't sign a Guard, didn't sign a Center. And the Tackle they did draft hardly saw the field and wasn't even used in the biggest game of the year. :roll:

Let's hope they've learned their lesson. Have we turned a corner...? Not till we address our biggest weakness, no.
Just stop with that BS. Did they do everything they needed to do to fix the OL? No. But they did way more than little. First, they shit-canned Turner. Turner is a piece of shit coach and a worse human being. I've heard that from 2 OL experts personally. Those experts also rave about Pollack so that is a huge improvement in coaching. Second, they drafted Carmen to fix RG and signed Reiff to temporarily fix RT. Carmen struggled with an injury all off season and into the season. He should be fine next year. Reiff also got hurt. Adeneji was supposed to compete. He had zero offseason due to injury. Still not fully healthy. He should improve next year. Smith, another rookie OL and Sua Filo also battled injuries.

Could they have drafted Sewell? Sure, still have a hole at RG and no Chase. Without Chase, no Super Bowl. Could they have signed a few FAs? Sure, but they would not have had Hendrickson, Awuzie, Ogunjobi, and Apple. We don't even sniff the SB without those guys. You also have 5 starting positions on the OL and reserves. It is hard to fix all of that in a year without ignoring the rest of the team.

This team has a full compliment of draft picks and 60+mil in cap space. If they neglect OL this year (which I doubt they will) then you can complain. This team missed a great opportunity to win it all, and that sucks. While it is very hard to get to the SB, I like our odds to go back. Burrow is the key. He will be extra motivated. That will motivate everyone else around him. FAs will go out of their way to want to play for him. Fun fact: Joe has never had a full offseason with his WRs. Imagine what they can do with a full offseason together. When they improve the OL, which I believe they will, imagine what they can do giving Joe an extra 1 or 2 seconds to throw.
Yes, Yes and Yes... I have said this but never as well as this, also when it comes from me no one on here really pays attention. Now that Mag has had the opportunity to sit down with some real O-line guys he sees what I've been seeing.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:42 am
Mag wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:

Yes, Yes and Yes... I have said this but never as well as this, also when it comes from me no one on here really pays attention. Now that Mag has had the opportunity to sit down with some real O-line guys he sees what I've been seeing.
Definitely eye opening. Turner was a terrible hire. His technique was a detriment to the young players. He single-handedly ruined Price. Taught him terrible technique and beat him down mentally when he didn't live up to expectations. Pollack should help. Jonah was likely lucky to be injured, because it gave him less time with Turner. They need to make a change to their training program. Adeneji's injury, apparently, was directly cause by the training staff. The smart move would be to sign a couple older vets. Give the young guys time to develop.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:58 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mag wrote:

Definitely eye opening. Turner was a terrible hire. His technique was a detriment to the young players. He single-handedly ruined Price. Taught him terrible technique and beat him down mentally when he didn't live up to expectations. Pollack should help. Jonah was likely lucky to be injured, because it gave him less time with Turner. They need to make a change to their training program. Adeneji's injury, apparently, was directly cause by the training staff. The smart move would be to sign a couple older vets. Give the young guys time to develop.
Carmen came into camp out of shape and that ultimately lead to his back problems. He needs to get into an off-season program and get healthy.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 am

As someone else mentioned, without Chase we don't make SB or even the playoffs. Sewell would have added zilch to this squad. We may have won 6 or 7 games by drafting Sewell.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:36 am

Zoo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:58 am
Mag wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:

Carmen came into camp out of shape and that ultimately lead to his back problems. He needs to get into an off-season program and get healthy.

Wrong. I talked directly to his trainers. He was injured coming out of Clemson. There was a misdiagnosis. Team should've caught it and drafted him later. Injury prevented him from staying in shape. He should be fine next year.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:49 am

Mag wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:

I disagree.

They drafted Carmen to be the RT of the future. They knew Reiff only signed a 1-year contract and was most likely gone after this season. Why else take a career RT in the 2nd round instead of a career RG...? Their plan (and God forbid it may still be their plan :roll: ) Was to use Reiff as a stop-gap and let him go to some other team that would pay him NFL RT money next season, let Carmen get his feet wet at RG and then move him to RT, his "natural" spot next season. It's Oogie-Bogie and Whit all over again.

And who was it that hired Turner in the first place...? Yeah, Zac Taylor. So he's not above making the wrong call on coaches as well as draft picks and play calling. I 'll give him credit for dumping him for Pollack ASAP. At least he's not like Marvin and afraid to show he made a mistake, that's a point in Zac's favor.

Don't forget they had about 4-5 veteran O-linemen into camp for a look see and signed none of them. How do you think last nights game turns out if we had two of those veterans on the interior of our line instead of who we went into the game with...? Yeah.

Barack Obama was famously quoted as saying before the 2000 election, "Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to screw things up." Well, don't underestimate the Bengals ability to do the same. It was obvious to everyone and their dog the Bengals needed more help along the O-line before the season and they failed to fix it.....period.

We'll see if they've learned anything from last nights debacle but I'm not declaring them the next New England Patriots just yet....

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:05 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:36 am
Zoo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:58 am
Mag wrote:

Wrong. I talked directly to his trainers. He was injured coming out of Clemson. There was a misdiagnosis. Team should've caught it and drafted him later. Injury prevented him from staying in shape. He should be fine next year.
Buy as always our medical staff missed this? How?

Who's are medical staff? The 3 stooges? I mean mah gawd man. This medical staff has been questioned for years for this shit.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another oogie boogie
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.